No New Remand Order for El-Rufai, Says ICPC

Anti-Corruption SpecialHeadlinesLatest NewsMetroPolitics

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has clarified the legal status of the detention of former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir Ahmad El-Rufai, stating that it did not seek a fresh extension of his remand during court proceedings in Abuja on Tuesday, March 17, 2026.

In a statement signed by its Head of Media and Public Communication, John Okor Odey, the Commission said it became necessary to correct what it described as inaccurate reports by some media outlets claiming that the agency appeared in court to obtain another detention order against El-Rufai.

According to the ICPC, its appearance in court was strictly for the hearing of an application filed by El-Rufai on March 6, 2026, seeking to overturn the court order issued on March 5, 2026, which renewed his remand in custody.

The Commission disclosed that during the proceedings, counsel to the former governor was served with the ICPC’s response to the application. After receiving the response, the defence lawyer requested an adjournment to allow time to prepare a reply.

Consequently, the Magistrate adjourned the hearing of the application to March 31, 2026, to enable El-Rufai’s legal team to react adequately to the Commission’s submission.

To further clarify the situation, the ICPC provided a timeline of the court-authorised detention. It explained that an initial remand order had granted the Commission 14 days to detain El-Rufai while investigating allegations of money laundering and abuse of office.

Upon the expiration of that order, the Commission applied for an additional 14-day extension to conclude its investigations. The court granted this request on March 5, 2026.

The agency also revealed that El-Rufai’s counsel had earlier attempted to set aside the original remand order issued on February 19, 2026, but the application was dismissed on March 9, 2026.

The ICPC emphasized that El-Rufai remains in lawful custody under the subsisting remand order of March 5, 2026, stressing that the detention was duly authorized by a competent court of law.

It added that the Commission is strictly complying with the court-mandated timeline governing the detention, including the requirement to submit periodic progress reports on the investigation, in line with the provisions of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA) 2015.

Reaffirming its commitment to due process, the anti-corruption agency stated that it conducts its operations with the highest level of professionalism and respect for the rule of law.

The Commission also reiterated its longstanding policy against conducting media trials, noting that legal disputes should be resolved within the courtroom rather than on newspaper pages or social media platforms.

While assuring the public of its resolve to pursue the investigation diligently, the ICPC said its leadership remains steadfast and undeterred in the face of any challenges.

It urged citizens to refrain from spreading unverified information and to rely solely on official communications from the Commission regarding the matter.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *