NAFDAC Enforces Sachet Alcohol Ban to Protect Children, Not Shut Factories
The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) has resumed full enforcement of its ban on alcoholic beverages packaged in sachets and small plastic or glass bottles below 200 millilitres, stressing that the move is solely to protect children and other vulnerable groups, not to shut down alcohol-producing companies.
The renewed enforcement, which took effect on Thursday, follows a directive of the Nigerian Senate and is backed by the Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare. NAFDAC said the action is in line with its statutory mandate to safeguard Nigerians, especially children, adolescents and young adults, from the harmful use of alcohol.
Addressing public concerns, NAFDAC Director-General, Professor Mojisola Christianah Adeyeye, dismissed claims that alcohol factories had been sealed, clarifying that the regulation affects only certain packaging formats.
“NAFDAC did not close down any company that makes alcohol,” Adeyeye said. “What we have banned is alcohol in sachets and in small containers below 200 millilitres.”
She explained that the widespread availability of high-alcohol-content drinks in sachets and small bottles has made alcohol cheap, easily accessible and easy to conceal, encouraging misuse among minors and some commercial drivers. According to her, this has contributed to rising cases of addiction, domestic violence, road traffic accidents, school dropouts and other social vices across the country.
“This ban is not punitive; it is protective,” she stated. “It is about safeguarding the health and future of our children and youth. The decision is rooted in scientific evidence and public health considerations.”
Adeyeye also rejected claims that warning labels such as “Not for Children” would be effective, noting that enforcement remains impractical in Nigeria, where sachet alcohol is cheap and easily hidden.
She recalled that the policy was not sudden, noting that in December 2018, NAFDAC, the Federal Ministry of Health and the Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission signed a five-year Memorandum of Understanding with industry groups to phase out sachet and small-volume alcohol packaging by January 31, 2024. The deadline was later extended to December 2025.
According to her, the current Senate resolution aligns with that agreement and also supports Nigeria’s commitment to the World Health Assembly’s Global Strategy to Reduce the Harmful Use of Alcohol.
NAFDAC reiterated that alcoholic beverages in larger pack sizes remain approved and warned that no further extension of the phase-out deadline will be granted beyond December 2025.
The agency added that it will continue working with relevant government bodies to intensify public awareness on the health and social dangers of alcohol misuse, reaffirming its commitment to ensuring that only safe and properly regulated products are available to Nigerians.
