Court Rejects Emefiele’s Adjournment Bid in Naira Redesign Trial
Justice Maryanne Anineh of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) High Court, Maitama, Abuja, on Tuesday refused an application by defence counsel to adjourn the trial of former Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Governor, Godwin Emefiele, over the alleged unlawful redesign and printing of new naira notes.
Emefiele is being prosecuted by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on a four-count charge bordering on the alleged unlawful printing of new naira notes.
At the resumed hearing on February 10, 2026, prosecution counsel, Abbas Mohammed, informed the court that the matter was slated for the continuation of cross-examination of the seventh prosecution witness (PW7), who was present in court.
However, defence counsel, Olalekan Ojo, SAN, objected to proceeding with the cross-examination, arguing that the prosecution had only made available to the defence a six-page investigation report — said to be the statement of the Managing Director of the Nigerian Security Printing and Minting Plc — barely 20 minutes before the day’s proceedings.
Ojo told the court that the document should have been provided at least 24 to 48 hours earlier to enable adequate preparation, stressing that neither he nor the defendant had sufficient time to review it. He subsequently applied for an adjournment.
In response, Mohammed denied any deliberate attempt to ambush the defence, explaining that the report was produced following a request made by the defence during the previous sitting when PW7 was asked whether such an investigation report existed.
He urged the court to direct the defence to proceed with the cross-examination, noting that other dates were available to address issues relating to the report.
In a ruling, Justice Anineh declined the application for adjournment and ordered that the cross-examination of PW7 should continue.
During cross-examination, PW7 confirmed that an email exchange between the Managing Director of the Nigerian Security Printing and Minting Company and De La Rue was made available to the EFCC by the Managing Director, identified as Ahmed Halilu.
The witness admitted he could not recall the number of statements made by the Managing Director and was uncertain about when the investigation was concluded.
When questioned about the quantity of redesigned naira notes released to commercial banks, PW7 said he did not have the figures available and could not confirm if the information was documented, but expressed willingness to refresh his memory.
He further stated that EFCC teams, alongside other law enforcement agencies, visited banks across the country to ensure that new naira notes were made available over the counter. While acknowledging awareness of allegations that some banks hoarded the currency, he said he could not provide specific details.
Attempts by the defence to question the witness on whether arrests were made over alleged infractions drew objections from the prosecution, which argued that the witness was only testifying on the approval process of the naira redesign and not matters outside the charges.
The witness maintained that he was not physically present during all operations and was unaware of specific actions taken against banks found wanting. He also stated that he was not privy to whether the CBN directed the EFCC to sanction erring banks or on whose instruction the EFCC conducted the visits.
The defence renewed its request for adjournment, citing the absence of the original statement of the Managing Director. The prosecution countered that the Managing Director had already testified as PW2 and that all relevant documents were before the court.
Justice Anineh subsequently adjourned the matter to March 19; April 1 and 2; May 11 and 12; and June 9 and 10, 2026, for continuation of trial.
The trial continues.
